Sunday, August 5, 2012

OPEN REQUEST SUNDAY: J. Geils Band, "Centerfold"

Peter J. Doe (I'm protecting your identity in the event of an insurrection) writes in from the Good Land: 


Absolute favorite song of my fifth/sixth grade years. Probably because it was a bit inappropriate for an 11 year old. I like the idea of you posting J. Geils and all your hipster NYC friends thinking it's some kind of ironic statement on bad 80's rock. Little do they know that I'm an ironic statement on everything bad from the 80's.


I couldn't have said it better myself.

2 comments:

  1. MC-Thanks for bringing back 1984 for me. (Yes, the song came out before that, but I was slow.) I can honestly say I had never seen the video prior to your post. I will now do my best to forget having seen it.

    I guess I always envisioned J. Geils as a beefy, garage band guy with a baseball cap. Instead he's a pale shadow of Mick Jagger in a woman's matador jacket and gold shoes!

    Looks like this round goes to ironic '80s nostalgia. Damn you, hipsters, damn you. I'll get you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOTE: The lead singer may be Peter Wolf rather than J. Geils himself, but does it really matter? I just want to know which one is Magic Dick.

    ReplyDelete